Thursday, January 05, 2006

Cousin Chills


Driving back from San Francisco was supposed to be good. I had plans of getting out of the business meeting by early afternoon, grab a quick bite somewhere, and get onto the freeway, and be back home in 6 hours. They say that Murphy works his wonders in miraculous ways, except that, over here, in my case, it wasn't Murphy, it was Sean.

It's an established fact that I can't drive at night due to night vision problems. I have tried and I guess, it's going to take some more time than what I had scheduled. The yellow sodium street lamps on San Mateo bridge mingled with the glaring lights from the oncoming vehicles were playing havoc on my retinas. The psychedelic music that was playing was pumping the adrenaline into the driver's head, and the speed limit was thrown to the wind. It wasn't before long that the lilting music were accompanied with the red and blue lights in the background.

"Lemme handle this.", said a confident Sean. Confidence is what defines this guy, and what gets him out of most circumstances. Hey, who am I kidding! That's what gets him out of all situations. He straightened his tie, and I have no idea why he was wearing his dark sun glares; they went very well with the Armani suit that he was wearing. May be the lights were disturbing him as well.

Sean pulled the speed vehicle onto the shoulder, and waited patiently for the onslaught. I could see the officer get out of his car; hey wait a minute, it was a lady officer. I looked towards Sean, I could almost see the halo of a heavy speed ticket over his head. He seemed completely ignorant though. I am sure, he had already made a mental note of the contours of the lady officer. He seemed unperturbed, however.

"What 'exactly' were you gentlemen thinkin'?", asked the officer, without asking for Sean's licence and registration. I realized that my magical incantations to go invisible had been rendered useless, after all she did say 'gentlemen' and not 'gentleman'! Damn it.

Reading her name off the name tag, "Hello, Officer Anderson! We meet again.", Sean's booming voice echoed, in Agent Smith's voice, from the movie, Matrix. He slid the glares down a bit by raising his brows, and without any request, gives his licence to the lady. I cringed deep within. There was no way in hell, anybody was gonna figure that out. Hell, I wouldn't have, had I not seen the movie just the day before.

"And you were speeding because...", Officer Anderson seemed to have relaxed, and was resting her weight on one foot, without her hand on the gun or the baton.

Sean flicked the Bluetooth earpiece a bit and adjusted it over his ears, and turned it on. "I guess, I wasn't plugged into the Matrix, Officer!", I couldn't believe my ears that Sean was saying this and was as cool as ever. If I had been the officer, Sean would have been hanged by now. The officer looked at me, and rested her eyes on my glasses. I was wearing my dark glasses because of the lights, and realized that we did look like the Agent pair, and we had escaped from the movie's set.

Officer Anderson started giggling. Holy Fuckn Molly, Sean had pulled it off again. There was no way he could have made that happen. Oh well...the rest of the story is pretty self-conclusive.

Allow me to introduce you to my 2nd look alike, who happens to be my raring and daring cousin, Sean Smith. As a kid, Sean always wanted to be an airforce pilot. The airforce couldn't take him on account of his poor performance in their examinations, but little did they know what they were missing out on. Well, they missed out on California's best plastic surgeon. Yeah, Sean decided to fly high a different way!

Sean was adopted by my parents a long time ago, but not long enough for us to not know the difference. Our parents never forced on any of us to accept the other as a brother, but thought it best for us to figure things out. The obvious sibling rivalry metamorphosed into a crazy order that still holds good. It just seemed natural to accept each other as cousins. What can I say!

To be continued shortly...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home